Wednesday, August 25, 2010

G.B juice



There must be an appeal to simplicity and innocence that has long been lost somewhere deep within me. I am appreciative of sophistication and innovativeness of thought but I am fairly well-balanced enough to realize that naivete can sometimes be an outlet for an otherwise laser-paced lifestyle.



Welcome to my love of the Gummi Bears! Hahaha Childish I know but relatively humorous and playful which is why I love them! These cartoon characters actually were cast in an animated series which was broadcasted around my formative year-period. So watching them probably could have contributed to my overall childhood development which of course we all know is very crucial to later years of personality formation.

Enough of these technical rather cognitive psychology-sounding terms and on with the fun! There are real moments where I actually regress to my inner kid-hood and pig out on episode after episode after episode of the Adventures of the Gummi Bears. They’re a family of bears living in a pretty rustic but comfortable home underneath the ground safe and away from the human populace. They could have just looked like plain-looking bears with human attributes given they could talk and wear human-ish clothes except that they had Gummiberry juice, a magical liquid concoction which they carry in their pockets and belt-bags which when drank could make them jump and bounce as high as they wanted and with absolute flexibility. When drank by human beings it rendered them incredible strength. The potion was a brew manufactured with instructions from the annals of a book of magic potions and handed down from generation to generation of Gummi Bears.

It was their number one weapon, stronger than any ammunition they ever had because it gave them guile, speed, and superbear powers which they normally wouldn’t have without it. Their number one enemy was the Duke Sigmund Igthorn and his army of ogre soldiers who I think were also ravenous for bear flesh and carrion which is why the king found them easy to manipulate. Igthorn’s number one motivation though was to get a hold of the formulae for Gummiberry juice because he was well aware of the inhuman strength it gave to human beings and ogres when they drank it.

They had human friends too in the form of Princess Calla and Cavin, the boy who first discovered their lair and the Gummi Bears. Nobody ever knew about the existence of Gummi Bears though except for the aforementioned characters. They always seemed to melt into the background as soon as other human characters came into the picture. I guess it was to their advantage too because humans would have found them abominable for their anthropomorphism.

When I look into my addiction to this cartoon series I realize and I will dispute my earlier perspective, I think they’re not really stress valves for me, they’re actually part of my personality - loquacious and bubbly, talkative and slightly humorous. Sometimes I can say I have a devil-may-care attitude at certain points in my life but it is highly unlikely to manifest itself for a long time. This probably explains the gaps in the indulgence of viewing reruns of this animated series.

Ahhh of course nothing beats watching them when I was a kid. Memories come flooding back! Those afternoons of rushing home from school to be able to catch an episode before Mum shuts down the TV for homework to take over our monotonous weekday schedule. Sitting on the floor of our crude house with cousins watching the Gummi Bears was one of the many pleasures I have kept in my treasurebox of memories. It was good to digest such nonsense before our brain had to readjust to process school assignments and memorization!!! Haha now I am an adult and I have the power to watch them everytime I choose to. But somehow it feels different from before, and I wonder why….

No comments: