Tuesday, May 15, 2007

an imminent reality

an acquaintance who lives near where i live committed suicide today...

this could have been just another death in the obituary of the town I live in, or a statistic in the city records...but the sad thing is that i knew her and she was of almost the same age as me and i could say we grew up together in this town except that we were really just mere acquaintances and would just exchange hi's and hello's when we met on the sidewalks. but that was before ... lately though we ever spoke much when we came across each other...

she had many problems and of course everyone in town knew they were not minor ones...life was difficult for her...whether life became hard for her or she made her own life difficult, i never knew...

the sadness about this is I actually really knew her when life was better for her way way before...and perhaps i can say she is one girl who i grew up with and was among the town's children. and i saw the deterioration and the talks surrounding her and then the slow degeneration of her life into one of hardship and physical struggles...and now the tragic ending...

of course i shall never mention her name here but this post is in memory of that girl...and a reminder that death becomes more real simply because she is someone i grew up chronologically with and could have known had we been more understanding of her predicament while she was still alive and struggling....

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Lisa,
You're very young, but sadly you will probably not find this an uncommon occurrence in your lifetime. I've experienced it many times - acquaintances that you see more than know who take turns for the worse - ending up in dire straits or worse. My answer, my salve for this realization is to try and do something unexpected and kind for someone each day - planting hope and good feelings as I live my life. Additionally, tell those you love each and every day that you love them, don't put it off for a better time. Tomorrow is unpromised - leave a mark of sunshine each day. You are loved Lisa :-) Hope you enjoy your day - Dave

Blogger Wannabe said...

great advice, eroseeker

I had a similar experience. Last year my neighbour killed himself. I never really knew her, but she lived right next door. She was in her mid 20s, and a way she chose to end her life...
it was really sad, and it still is...

liisawinklergirl said...

wow guys thank you so much! this is the first time I had two comments on one post!!!

eroseeeker i owe u a chat session and blogger_wannabe ... thanks for the input :)

Sunsetlover said...

Yes, a very sad experience...but very real, especially in that age group of early 20s....one thing you can do Liisa, and what I always do when I meet distressed people on the verge of losing hope, is to try to instill to them OPTIMISM...the prospect of a better day tomorrow is the best drug against depression, which leads to what you mentioned...
Elias in NYC

Anonymous said...

A close friend of mine committed suicide when we were young, it was the worst feeling ever, and seeing how it effected his parents was terrible, The biggest problem is not having anyone to talk too, I went through a rough time recently and I thought about it, but just remembering how my friends parents were like after he died, just made me realise I couldn't do something like that to my parents.