Friday, February 15, 2008

down down down we go....


For as long as I remember one of the most handsome faces I have ever seen on screen has been this man. He really strikes so many chords in my visual guitar and I know I am probably not alone in this opinion. I cannot praise his devilish face and boyish lips enough.

His acting prowess is what sets him apart from many wannabe actors though. He has great depth in his acting and has a style which is unique and incomparable. And you need distinction in the film industry considering there are more than a thousand actors who pour into Hollywood to try their luck not to count the stars who are already established in the business. But Downey is just super when it comes to his acting. Words escape me when he utters his lines in his films.



He was so huggable in "Hearts and Souls" where he played the part of a young man who was plagued by ghosts who considered him as their "vehicle" towards the personal reconciliation of each of their unfulfilled lives which was snatched away from them by a freak bus accident on a highway. During the process they mess up his personal life but in the end he is happy for each one of them upon realising that he was pivotal in their personal happinesses and self-fulfillments....

He was sublime and noncommittal in the suspense thriller, "Gothika" where he plays the psychologist friend and admirer of Halle Berry who cherished their friendship before THE incident afterwhich he became civil and cold after Halle Berry "murdered" her husband in cold blood.


He was equally so disarming in "Chances Are" where he plays the part of yet another vehicle, a young man who this time is the reincarnation of a man who was killed in a road accident. When fate brings him to the home of the woman he used to be attached to in his past life everything crashes in an amorous deja vu. But he has a slightly significant dilemma in that he is also attracted and connected to Cybill's stepdaughter, the lovely Mary Stuart Masterson.

Oh I can only rant on about this man's effect on me. His drug addictions personally do not irk me BECAUSE personal life has nothing to do with what he has contributed to our world and the art he has committed to. When we touch that part of his life of course we are naturally turned off because he has been in legal troubles because of his known substance abuse which are well chronicled by the media. Because of this Robert Downey Jr. may be widely portrayed by conservative people as bad influence to their families and children. But when we get down and study ourselves, AREN'T our personal lives HELL too? I mean, not all of us live the storybook life.....beautiful house, manicured green lawns, white fences, the perfect Snow White wife and Hansel and Gretel kids??? I mean who are we kidding right? So I have this opinion that before I judge Mr. Downey on his personal hell of a life, I must first look at my own which is a complete inferno!!!

All in all I love him for all he has contributed to our world and to the silverscreen and to my eyecandy store LOL. His charisma never ceases to amaze me. Maybe his personal life was an outlet for him to release all his pentup pressures from his onscreen excellence. That I will have to find out when I sit down and chat with the great man...hehehe...who knows when? where? how? Ahhhh someday..........

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Substance abuse has been around for like decades. It's that very high pressure put on stars, some self inflicted some inflicted by greedy agents that causes them to seek sort of break away or solitude.
Real shame, some really good actors and musicians were ruined that way.