Thursday, March 15, 2007

bike in bangkok

i love my zest for adventure...I think it is one of my many characters that leads me to try new things that people would hardly think I would do...I love to unleash the explorative spirit I have and set new challenges no matter how minute they are...but what is minute anyway? How about a big challenge? The gravity of a challenge is commensurate to how we can handle certain situations which put us out of the routine we call our lives.



I decided to change the way of things and ride a Thai guy-driven motorcycle on the way back to my hotel. As you all know I am currently in the titanopolis that is Bangkok...and almost every form of transportation is here...Tuktuks, motorbikes, taxis, skytrain! It's a dizzying mix of noisy engines and the smell of gasoline. I clutched the driver by the neck during the ride! By Bellamos, he was breaking all kinds of street etiquette by going through every little cranny provided by the gap between two vehicles. The talent for acrobatics is amazing. The skill to dare is just devilish. Nowhere have i experienced such a ride in a big city and it certainly made my hair stand on end. I was screaming in an indescribable high, " Please slow downn!!!" And during the silent moments I was smiling to myself and thinking, this is fun. Hahahahahahahhahaa



I arrived at the hotel safe and sound and I thanked Mr. driver. I regretted not giving him extra. But I thought he was still confused about me looking so Thai but not sounding anything like himself LOL.

Oh well one thing i can conclude after the ride was if the driver brought you home safe and sound with no scrapes, he probably deserves a tip no matter how frightening the ride was. Driving through the jungle of traffic in Bangkok is a monumental task and twisting your way through the endless pack of cars is a great talent. In every sense, this can still be considered great driving, just with the added spice
of danger and uncertainty but what the heck, I bet I am worse of a car driver than he is on his motorbike...hahaha

Wish me luck! Hope to have more adventures in the Land of Smiles!

No comments: