Wednesday, January 23, 2008

the land of Oz....

within the annals of my exhausted mind I cannot find a word for this phrase, "to really want something to the point of fanaticism and frenzy." Can you?

I am using these series of words in the context of my entry into Hong Kong. The last time I entered the area they kept me under lock and key at the immigration office for two hours. I was distressed, miserable and lifeless when I came through. I want to believe that it was because of bad timing. I remember that my flight arrived at lunch time and the officers who were to interviewe me were out to have their meals so I had to wait like an hour before they came back and then another hour of random shuffling and questioning and more games of intimidation from these silly guys.

Now the first time this year and after three months of avoiding the country, I decided to come back for work. But I really really wanted to have a smoother and a more hassle-free entry. I had even thought that with the frequency that I was entering the country they might not let me in anymore!!!! These thoughts plagued my mind so badly that I just decided to do the silliest thing. I solicited the help of all friends to pray for my intentions upon touching down Chek Lap Kok. From sheer desperation and determination I might as well just have told them to touch their religious icons, mutter their chants and perform their rituals just for me to have a free-flowing entry hahaha Selfish little me!!!!

And boy did I come through smoothly!

Well I was not able to avoid the interrogation at the office but my God I was in for a gigantic surprise. The process seemed to take on lightning speed but with an easier pace than I had ever encountered before. I must have been floating because I realized that the excruciating part which was the interrogation was a smooth chit-chat between me and the female officer(who are the worst for me because women are so fickle-minded!!!!) about what my itinerary in HK was like and the amount of pocket money I had and all the usual queries and there was even talk about a boyfriend I have in Hong Kong (which is not quite true haha). All this took place in a lighthearted manner of two women gossiping in the middle of day!!! Before I knew it I was stamped in and was out of the office in less than 30 minutes!!!

I was even lucky enough to catch my baggage on the conveyor belt which means that they did not really hold me long enough inside the office that I had even caught our flight's baggage belt hahaha how desperate do I sound! I cannot help it! Even tiny details like that took on gigantic proportions because of how happy I was at that moment! hahahaha

Isn't the power of prayer and teamwork amazing? And the power of just "really really wanting something so much to the point of fanaticism and frenzy?" amazing? :D


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The power of genuine prayer is indeed amazing as is teamwork. No man, or woman for that matter, is an island. It is, indeed, a laudable quality, to want to do things independently but at the end of the day, quite often, we can't do it all alone.

Anonymous said...

Liisa,
You may have hit upon a secrete formula. You should call upon this group to pray for an even bigger undertaking.